Are you considering making the move into retirement? There are a few things to think about during the process. Some of our residents have taken as little as 4 weeks and as long as 4 years to journey into retirement, so don’t feel rushed or pressured. Watch the video or skip below to see the list.
4 Steps to Journey into Retirement
- Visit Retirement Villages and Gather Information
- Prepare your house for sale
- Get Independent Specialist Financial advice about in-going, on-going, and out-going costs before purchase
- Get Independent Legal Advice about contracts, terms and conditions before purchase
Visiting Retirement Villages
Every village offers unique services, lifestyle options and community aspects so it’s in your best interest to visit multiple and gather information from each one. Before you visit, think through the details and prepare some questions to ask the specialists at the villages, but ask yourself some questions too.
- Where do I want to live?
- Is it close to family and friends?
- Would this village suit my lifestyle?
- What other services does this provider offer such as in-home care or aged care?
- What can I contribute to this community?
Preparing your house for sale
Appraisals, decluttering and moving are all elements of preparing your house for sale and downsizing. It’s worth getting multiple appraisals for your home and employing the services of removalists.
Consider the property you’ll be moving into, will your furniture work in the space? Many villages have relationships with removalists and are happy to help you arrange their services. The last two elements are the most important in the process.
Get Independent Legal and Financial Advice
It’s imperative to get independent legal and financial advice to make an informed decision before you move into a retirement village. Know the ins and outs of the contract for signing and also whether you’re going to be comfortable with the fees associated with living in a retirement village.
Have questions? We are more than happy to answer any and also point you in the right direction to some great resources.
We currently have four Retirement Living sites across Adelaide. Each village has a unique community feel with different size homes that suit a variety of budgets.